Finally! A healthier take on the deep fried, chocolate covered donuts we all crave. This maintains the element of being super coated in chocolate, but ditches the deep frying part.
for the Donuts:
- 1 cup All-purpose flour (120 grams)
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar (70 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (28 grams)
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup skimmed milk (100 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the Glaze:
- 1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons of skimmed milk
- Sprinkles of choice* (optional)
- Preheat oven at 175 C (350 F)
- Spray a donut pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together until no flour bits remain and all the ingredients are well combined. Try not to overmix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the donut pan. Fill 3/4 of the way full.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the donuts onto a wire rack until cool enough to handle but still warm.
- Meanwhile, combine chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of milk in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at half power in 30-second increments, stirring after each round, until chocolate is completely melted.
- Dip or spread donuts with frosting, then add sprinkles. Let chocolate set 10 minutes before serving. (make sure donuts are completely cool before attempting to frost them, or else the chocolate will melt off the donuts).