These are the fluffiest, healthiest cinnamon rolls you can make. Can be easy made vegan by substituting cream cheese for coconut cream.
For the Cinnamon Rolls:
- 2 and 1/2 cups (separate) of Whole-wheat flour or All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil or melted butter
- 1 cup of warm milk ( I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 Tablespoons of Brown sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the Filling:
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon of butter, melted
For the Frosting:
- 4 Tablespoons of cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons of almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla powder
- 1 Tablespoon sweetener of choice (stevia, honey, maple…)
- In a bowl, whisk together warm almond milk, melted coconut oil, and sugar. Make sure the milk is warm and not too hot.
- Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the warm mixture and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour to the milk mixture and mix with a spatula until combined.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Remove the towel and add 1/2 cup of flour baking powder, and salt. Stir well, then turn out onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead the dough lightly until the dough just loses its stickiness and does not stick to the surface.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle about 1/2 cm thick. Spread the 1 Tbsp of melted butter on the dough.
- Spread the filling mixture evenly over the rolled out dough, spreading right to the edges.
- Gently roll the dough into a large log and slice it into 2 cm pieces.
- Place the cinnamon rolls in the greased cake pan, leaving some space between them, and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cinnamon roll is baking, prepare the frosting. In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the light cream cheese, coconut oil, vanilla extract, almond milk, and maple syrup, until smooth.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the oven and let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes. Once cool, cover with frosting and serve!