No Ramadan is ever complete without these cheese filled pieces of heaven. They’re super crunchy with the right amount of cheesiness and herbiness. Can be either baked or fried. Makes 24 sambousek pieces.
For the Dough:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Stuffing:
- 500 g of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons of dried oregano
- Mix flour and salt. Then add oil, water and the egg (make sure the egg is beaten).
- Combine well and kneed for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rest for 2 hours.
- Divide your dough into 4 pieces. Use one piece at a time, while keep the rest covered so they don’t dry out.
- Roll your dough as thinly as possible (until it becomes sort of transparent).
- Using a cup or a cookie cutter, cut the dough in circles. (Each piece will yield 6 circles)
- Fill up each circle with 1 Tablespoon of the mozzarella oregano mix.
- Close the circle in half and pinch the edges. Tip: you can dab a little water between the 2 sides so they stick better)
- Twist the edges into tighter twirls, or use a fork to close the edges up even more.
- Repeat the same until you have 24 total pieces.
- You can either fry or bake them immediately, or freeze them for cooking later.